Our two-part Q&A series continues with Sarai Puente, regional hygiene director over the West Region. If you missed it, first read the Q&A Series: Part One.
Q: What training or continued education is offered to hygienists at DentalOne Partners?
A: Here at DentalOne, we offer laser certification courses, hygiene study clubs, webinars, dental hygiene conference calls and practice-visit support. We also partner with vendor representatives to provide additional training to the hygienist and the office team.
Q: How is DentalOne different than other DSOs when it comes to the hygiene role?
A: DentalOne has unique patient education tools to assist providers with optimal patient communication. This tool also supports collaboration between the doctor and the hygienist. In addition to the resources, there is tremendous clinical and operational support to the hygienist.
Q: What do you love most about your role at DentalOne?
A: I absolutely love it all! If I had to pick one thing that I love the most, I would have to say it is the interaction and time I spend with the hygienists in the practices. Patient care is No. 1, and it is wonderful to see it in action as I visit practices.
Q: Five tips for hygienists?
- Be mindful of your posture when treating patients. Position the patient in a manner that will help you, the clinician, stay safe.
- Say it before you do it. Let the patient know what your next move is. For example, before moving the chair, “Mr. Jones, I am going to move your chair slightly forward.”
- Oral hygiene instructions. Patients truly appreciate this part of the appointment; however, tailor these instructions based on their specific needs.
- Review patients’ medical/dental history and always update it. After reviewing this document, you will learn a lot about the patient and discover how to better help him or her.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Never cut corners when it comes to OSHA compliance.